Friday, October 16, 2009

Bead Journal Project

I've been participating in the Bead Journal Project for the last year. This is a year long commitment to making a beaded project each month. It's been a lot of fun and I feel very proud of myself for finishing (I tend to procrastinate a lot!). My 12 projects now have a home in the Bead Journal Member's Gallery! Take a look and if you're inspired to start beading, sign-up for the 2010 project which begins in January.

My projects were all based on poems and each one I finished was my favorite at the time. Looking back, I think that my Venus figure is the one I like best:



It's based on a portion of the poem Transcendental Etude by Adrienne Rich:

But there come times –perhaps this is one of them—
when we have to take ourselves more seriously or die;
when we have to pull back from the incantations,
rhythms we’ve moved to thoughtlessly,
and disenthrall ourselves, bestow
ourselves to silence, or a severer listening, cleansed
of oratory, formulas, choruses, laments, static
crowding the wires. We cut the wires,
find ourselves in free-fall, as if
our true home were the undimensional
solitudes, the rift
in the Great Nebula.
No one who survives to speak
new language, has avoided this:
the cutting-away of an old force that held her
rooted to an old ground
the pitch of utter loneliness
where she herself and all creation
seem equally dispersed, weightless, her being a cry
to which no echo comes or can ever come.

I like it best for a lot of reasons. I've been trying to lose weight (with varying degrees of success) for quite a while and one thing the Venus figure symbolizes for me is how important it is to accept myself right now and be happy with myself. It's also important to work to change, to pull back from the incantations, rhythms we’ve moved to thoughtlessly. It's hard work though and often that pitch of utter loneliness gets to me. That's when I feel like everything I've done so far to change is pointless and all I'm doing is making another mistake. But I'm not and I'm going to keep working on change and things will work out!

No comments: