Saturday, October 6, 2012

I Crawled!

I participated in the Sacramento Archives Crawl today! It's an event that happens every October (which is Archives Month). There were four hosting archives that had displays of some of their treasures. It was a lot of fun but my feet sure hurt! I wore sandals - next time I'll wear tennis shoes!

I started at the California State Archives. Their collection is mainly records from state agencies, courts, governor and state legislature. They also have genealogical materials and I'll be going back there next Saturday for an all-day Family History event! Here's a few pictures from the Archives. None of the pictures are great. Given the delicate nature of the display materials, they were mainly under glass or, for a lot of the maps, heavy plastic. 






Second stop was the California State Library. I liked this one best I think! They have California history resources, genealogy, and much more. You can also borrow books from them through your local library branch. They had an exhibit of posters, brochures, and other materials that were used to entice people to California. An ostrich farm, an alligator farm, and a monkey farm were some of the unusual ones! The first picture is of the California Swearing In Bible. It was first used in 1871 to swear Newton Booth in as the 11th Governor of California. I thought this was interesting because I live in the Newton Booth neighborhood!










Third on my journey was the Sacramento Room at the Central Library. They have a lot of research material on Sacramento County history. Books, maps, periodicals, photographs, etc. It's a lovely room also! Being unable to leave a library without a book, I made a short stop in the main part of the library and checked out a couple of books. I couldn't help myself.




The final stop was the Center for Sacramento History. I wish that I had started here because it was one place I wanted to see a lot of. By the time I got there I was very tired and didn't stay long. Although I would have felt that way about any of the archives I had left for last! Oh well. They are a research center for City and County historic collections. They also have things like household items, toys, and textiles which they loan to other organizations for display. Since this was my last stop I received my free commemorative coasters here! I also collected bookmarks, lots of brochures and a sticker. They even provided a bag that says Sacramento Archives Crawl to put all your loot in!






No comments: