Sunday, October 16, 2011

Neglect

I've been neglecting my blog lately. :( 

I just read this poem and thought I'd put it on and realized the last thing I posted was a poem. I was going to wait and then I remembered: it's my blog, I can do what I want! So here you go - another poem!

The Thing Is
By Ellen Bass

to love life, to love it even
when you have no stomach for it
and everything you've held dear
crumbles like burnt paper in your hands,
your throat filled with the silt of it.
When grief sits with you, it's tropical heat
thickening the air, heavy as water
more fit for gills than lungs;
when grief weights you like your own flesh
only more of it, an obesity of grief.
You think,
How can a body withstand this?
Then you hold life like a face
between your palms, a plain face,
no charming smile, no violet eyes,
and you say, yes, I will take you
I will love you, again.

2 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Yes, you must embrace life and live it as best you can, no matter what is thrown in your way because once you step over the bump the path is clear for you to find your joy.

Find a joyous poem and lift your spirits to their highest possible.

Or find a spooky one, yes one to put you in the eerie mood of this season, full of witches and black cats.

Or, just find another one you like and post it. I'll be here!

Bev Hankins said...

Lovely poem! I'm very glad you decided to post it.