Friday, April 1, 2011

Cookbooks

I think I've mentioned before that I collect old cookbooks. I love the small leaflet style and have quite a few of them. Some were my mother's, some belonged to my grandmothers and the rest I've picked up at yard sales or on ebay. One of my long-term projects that I've yet to start on :( is to create a database of all of them so I know what I have. In the meantime I thought I'd share a few!


This was published in 1955 and has some tasty sounding cake recipes. I want the Orange Cake with Orange Fluff Frosting! Good thing I'm too lazy to make it!




This was from the 1955 Pillsbury Bake-Off where Mrs. Henry Jorgensen won $25,000 for her Ring-A-Lings (on the cover). It was her 7th try at winning - apparently persistence paid off for her! I have quite a few of the bake-off cookbooks. I know I have number 4 and I think I have 3. Those are the oldest, the rest are number 7 and beyond. I want to get them all out so I know exactly what I have!


Published 1957 (the year I was born!). The introduction says that Nestle's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels are "a staple product found on the pantry shelf of the modern homemaker."


Oh phooey, I realized that I took a picture of the back of this one. Oh well. I have to confess that I love jello cookbooks. I have no idea why. I like jello ok but if I never had it again I'd be fine. I just like the recipes. This is an old one - it was published in 1928. It includes recipes for Cherry Sponge, Maple Walnut Jello, Prune and Raisin Jello, Paradise Pudding, Pineapple Rice Sponge, and Sea Dream Salad. The inside back cover has a coupon with an offer to purchase molds for .30 cents each.



Another one from 1957. It's only 27 pages but it includes lots of nifty sounding recipes! How about Pizza Boats made with a hotdog, cheese, chili sauce and biscuit dough shaped into a boat. One of the menus is called Company's Coming for Dinner: Chicken Patty Shortcake, Peas & Mushrooms, Citrus Salad, Sundae Short Pie and Coffee!

This one's a hardbound, spiral cookbook published in 1964. I don't remember where I got it but it's clearly been used. Some of the pages are sticky and dirty. Anyway it's pretty amazing the things you can do with Bisquick!

2 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I like those older cook books too. When we were married, I received a Betty Crocker Cook Book and a Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. My BCCC is worn and the spine cover is gone but I love it. It has many recipes that I use often. Favorites that are made from scratch. The new BCCC use BC mixes to start a recipe. Nice, but not the same. But I must admit I use Bisquick often and have a lot of the booklets they have published over the years.

robin michelle said...

I love the Betty Crocker Cookbook! I have 3 - one that belonged to my Mom and 2 that were my grandmother's. One of them is pretty old but it has missing pages so I'm not sure how old. Yeah I know what you mean about mixes - it really isn't the same!